What's there to know?
The Mendip Studio School opened in September 2015 and is part of the Midsomer Norton Schools Partnership. Mendip Studio School and Writhlington School share a campus on the outskirts of Radstock and applications are invited from all students who have...
“… a thirst for learning, a drive to succeed and a curiosity to innovate and experiment.”
What is a Studio School?
Mendip Studio School is a mainstream state school where classroom based learning and the world of work are integrated. It is designed for 14-19 year olds of all abilities working closely with local employers, Studio Schools offer a range of academic and vocational qualifications including GCSEs in English, maths and Science. This approach ensures students’ learning is rooted in the real world and helps them to develop the skills they need to flourish in life.
Our students gain from a broad range of employ-ability and life skills and have the option to go on to university, further training and employment. Employers are a key aspect of the studio school model, its success and the opportunities on offer to students. Students will work in smaller groups with individual support from a ‘personal tutor-coach’ who will meet with them one-to-one every fortnight to develop their own personalised learning plan and tailor their curriculum to their individual needs and aspirations. Personalisation of the curriculum will be further supported through a small school environment in which every young person will be able to access the tailored support that they need.
What can we do for your child?
- Provide specialist skills and knowledge required by employers in the Engineering and Bio-sciences industries.
- Transferable work-related skills including communication, team-working and enterprise skills.
- Learning linked to future employment opportunities and Higher Education
- Work placements and workshops provided by industry partners.
- A new 14 to 19 school with high expectations and high achievement.
- Courses at GCSE and A Level designed for intended career aims and enabling students to realise their full potential.
- Students are supported by highly professional coaches and a very strong partnership with employers.
WHAT DO THEY SAY?
Find out what our students have to say about our school
I want to go into medical. Mendip is a STEM school so science will help. Most of my teachers know science so there is a lot of support.
Mendip is a place where you can be yourself and you won’t get judged. You get as much support as they can give. You're not isolated in Mendip.
The subjects are different. The teachers are calm and easier to talk to.
A great school. Mendip is better because the staff are more understanding.